ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2013: The Sindh Assembly witnessed the passage of two bills, including the Sindh HIV and AIDS Control, Treatment and Protection Bill 2013, during the third sitting of seventh session on Friday.
Moved by Law Minister, the House also passed the Gambat Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill 2013. A privilege motion against DIG police, Sukkur over his alleged abusive and threatening language was submitted in the House. The House formed a five-member committee to probe the matter as seven lawmakers discussed the motion for an hour and 21 minutes.
The Deputy Speaker chaired the two hours and 52 minutes long sitting. The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting and the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 30 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for two hours and 52 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1117 hours against the schedule start time of 0930 hours, witnessing a delay of one hour and 47 minutes.
- Seventy Members were present at the time of start and 107 when the sitting was adjourned. At one point, a maximum of 110 Members were present in the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting whereas the Leader of Opposition was present for two hours and 30 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PMLF and PTI attended the sitting.
- Four Members applied for leave.
- Five Minority Members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Three out of six starred questions on the agenda on zakat and ushr department were taken up. The relevant Minister answered all the questions. Members asked 17 supplementary questions.
- Two bills on education and health were passed as one was withdrawn by the mover. The Gambat Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill 2013 was withdrawn by the mover and a new bill with the same name was laid and passed. The Sindh HIV and AIDS Control, Treatment and Protection Bill 2013 was passed.
- An adjournment motion over the contamination of Keenjhar Lake water was moved by MQM legislators. After six minutes of discussion on the motion, the Information Minister assured the protection of lake.
- A PPPP lawmaker submitted a privilege motion against DIG police, Sukkur over his alleged use of abusive language against the Member. Seven members spoke on the motion for one hour and 21 minutes. The House formed a five-member special committee to probe the matter.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Point of Order was raised in the entire sitting.
- No incidents of protests/walkouts/boycotts were observed.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2020: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Pakistan Islands Development Authority Ordinance and demanded the federal…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed five government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election…