ISLAMABAD, December 5, 2012: The Balochistan Assembly, which met for an hour and 40 minutes during the second sitting of the 35th session, witnessed low attendance of MPAs.
Only six members were present at the outset while 21 were there at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 28 members were present at one point of the sitting.
The parliamentary leaders of BNPA, JUIF, ANP and Like Minded Group were present. The Speaker was not present. The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 55 minutes.
The question hour was not held. A resolution was adopted to urge the federal government to support the Balochistan government in establishing peace in the province.
FAFEN observers did not observe the first sitting of the 35th session which was held in-camera. It lasted only for three minutes.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 40 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1540 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1500 hours. The proceedings started 40 minutes late.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minister attended the sitting for 55 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNPA, JUIF, ANP and Like Minded Group were present.
- Six (9%) members were present at the outset while there were 21 (32%) at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 28 members were present at one point of the sitting.
- Three members applied for leave.
- Three minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The question hour was not held.
- An adjournment motion regarding intervention of federal government authorities in PSDP of Balochistan was taken up. Six MPAs spoke on the motion for 30 minutes.
- The house adopted a resolution to urge the federal government to support the Balochistan government to establish peace in the province.
Order and institutionalization
- Two points of order consumed four minutes. However, none of the points of order attracted the chair’s formal ruling.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- After quorum was pointed out during the sitting, the proceedings were suspended for 15 minutes.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD), a Member organization of FAFEN.
Session Prorogued after Quorum Pointed Out by Food Minister ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan addressed 25 percent of the scheduled business…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…