ISLAMABAD, June 13, 2014: The Upper House resumed debate on the federal budget 2014-15 amid low attendance during 8th sitting of the its 105th session, says the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the House.
The Chair had to adjourn the sitting yesterday (Thursday) after a verbal brawl between the Deputy Chairman and Leader of the House that has now been resolved amicably.
Five lawmakers- PML-N and ANP (two each) and JUI-F (one)- spoke on the budgetary proposals for 43 minutes, while four lawmakers raised as many points of order consuming eight minutes of the proceedings.
ANP lawmaker moved a privilege motion against the CDA Chairman and Member Planning for not giving time despite scheduled meeting with them. The motion was referred to the relevant committee.
MQM lawmakers walked out of the House at 1154 hours and did not return till the adjournment of the sitting. They got annoyed over Deputy Chairman’s preferring PML-N lawmaker over one of their senators to speak on the federal budget.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for an hour and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at 1130 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours with a delay of an hour.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting as the Chairman was absent.
- Thirteen senators were present at the outset, 10 at the adjournment while a maximum of 38 at one point during the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PkMAP and NP attended the sitting.
- Four minority members attended the sitting.
- Six members applied for leave.
- The Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers- PML-N and ANP (two each) and JUI-F (one)- spoke on the budgetary proposals for 43 minutes.
- An ANP lawmaker moved a privilege motion against the CDA Chairman and Member Planning for not giving time despite scheduled meeting with them. It was referred to the relevant committee.
Order and Institutionalization
- Four lawmakers spoke on as many points of order consuming eight minutes.
- MQM lawmakers walked out of the House at 1154 hours and did not return till the end of the sitting. They got annoyed over Deputy Chairman’s preferring PML-N lawmaker over one of their senators to speak on the federal budget.
- Deputy Speaker asked PPPP lawmaker to negotiate with MQM lawmakers to ensure their return but they did not come.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2019: The requisitioned session of Senate was prorogued on Friday after completing debate on all five motions under Rule 218, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 14, 2019: The Senate clubbed three motions under Rule 218 on Thursday and discussed the dissolution of Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC),…
ISLAMABAD, November 13, 2019: The Senate continued debate on a motion under Rule 218 regarding curfew and lockdown in Srinagar and condemned Indian atrocities in…